Welcome to the ultimate guide to the Outer Banks, NC – a destination beloved by families seeking a kid-friendly vacation. Nestled along the beautiful coastline, the Outer Banks offers a wealth of attractions and activities that cater to all ages, making it an ideal choice for a family getaway. From sandy beaches to historical sites, there’s no shortage of fun-filled adventures awaiting you and your little ones.
One of the key advantages of the Outer Banks is the wide selection of family-friendly accommodations available. Whether you prefer a resort, hotel, vacation rental, or campground, you’ll find plenty of options that offer amenities specifically designed for families. Start your day with a refreshing swim in the pool, enjoy a picnic in the park, or unwind with a delicious meal at an on-site restaurant – the choice is yours.
- The Outer Banks is a fantastic destination for families, offering a range of activities suitable for all ages.
- There is a wide selection of family-friendly accommodations available, including resorts, hotels, vacation rentals, and campgrounds.
- Enjoy the convenience of on-site amenities such as swimming pools, playgrounds, and restaurants.
- Make the most of the beautiful sandy beaches and historical sites in the Outer Banks.
- Create lasting memories with your loved ones in this picturesque coastal destination.
6-Day Itinerary for Family-Friendly Activities in Outer Banks
Plan your family’s 6-day itinerary in the Outer Banks with these fun and kid-friendly activities. Explore the best family-friendly activities in Outer Banks and discover the top things to do with kids in this stunning coastal destination.
Day 1: Beach Fun and Water Sports
Start your vacation by enjoying the beautiful beaches of the Outer Banks. Spend the day building sandcastles, playing beach games, and relaxing under the sun. For some adventure, try out water sports like kayaking and paddleboarding, which are perfect for the whole family.
Day 2: Roanoke Island Festival Park
Embark on a historical journey at Roanoke Island Festival Park. Explore the interactive exhibits that showcase the first English settlement in America. Kids will love the hands-on experiences and learning about the maritime history of the Outer Banks region.
Day 3: Wright Brothers National Memorial and Paradise Golf & Arcade
Visit the Wright Brothers National Memorial and discover the birthplace of aviation. Learn about the Wright brothers’ groundbreaking achievements and witness a replica of their first powered flight. In the afternoon, enjoy some family-friendly fun at Paradise Golf & Arcade, where you can play mini-golf and enjoy a variety of arcade games.
Day 4: Art Classes and Bodie Island Lighthouse
Get creative with art classes in the Outer Banks. Let your kids unleash their inner artists and create beautiful masterpieces. Afterward, explore the iconic Bodie Island Lighthouse and marvel at its fascinating history and stunning views from the top.
Day 5: Jockey’s Ridge State Park and Mini Golf
Climb the towering sand dunes at Jockey’s Ridge State Park, the largest living sand dune system on the East Coast. Enjoy the thrill of sandboarding or simply take in the breathtaking panoramic views. Later, have a fun-filled evening playing mini golf with the whole family.
Day 6: Pier Fishing and Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge
Experience the thrill of pier fishing and teach your kids some valuable angling skills. The Outer Banks is known for its excellent fishing opportunities, and there’s no better way to bond with your family than casting a line together. Wrap up your vacation by exploring the beautiful scenery and diverse wildlife at Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge.
|Beach Fun and Water Sports
|Roanoke Island Festival Park
|Wright Brothers National Memorial and Paradise Golf & Arcade
|Art Classes and Bodie Island Lighthouse
|Jockey’s Ridge State Park and Mini Golf
|Pier Fishing and Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge
Top Kid-Friendly Attractions in Outer Banks
The Outer Banks offers a variety of attractions that are perfect for kids. Whether you’re looking for interactive learning experiences or outdoor adventures, there’s something to keep every child entertained. Here are some of the best kid-friendly attractions in Outer Banks:
- NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island: At the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island, kids can dive into the fascinating world of marine life. From playful river otters to majestic sea turtles, children can learn about various species and conservation efforts through interactive exhibits. It’s an educational and entertaining experience that the whole family can enjoy.
- Elizabethan Gardens: Visit the Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, a beautiful botanical park that offers a peaceful oasis for families. Kids can explore the Discovery Cottage and Garden, where they can engage in interactive exhibits and learn about plants, insects, and the importance of nature conservation.
- Jockey’s Ridge State Park: For an outdoor adventure, head to Jockey’s Ridge State Park, home to the tallest living sand dune system on the east coast. Kids can climb to the top of the dunes, fly kites, and even try sandboarding or hang gliding. It’s a thrilling experience that offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding area.
The Outer Banks is also known for its child-friendly beaches. Here are some of the best beaches for families:
- Corolla Beach: Corolla Beach offers clean shores, gentle waves, and ample space for families to spread out and relax. The beach is also home to the famous Corolla Wild Horses, which kids can spot along the shoreline.
- Kitty Hawk Beach: Kitty Hawk Beach is a popular spot for families due to its calm waters and lifeguard patrols. Kids can build sandcastles, fly kites, and enjoy the gentle ocean breeze.
- Nags Head Beach: Nags Head Beach is a family favorite, with its wide sandy expanse and family-friendly amenities. Children can enjoy swimming, boogie boarding, and searching for seashells along the shore.
Plan a day at these child-friendly beaches, where your little ones can play in the sand, splash in the water, and create memorable beach adventures.
With a combination of engaging attractions and picturesque beaches, the Outer Banks is the ideal destination for a family vacation filled with fun, learning, and quality time together.
Family-Friendly Accommodations and Restaurants in Outer Banks
When planning a family vacation in the Outer Banks, you’ll find a wide range of accommodations that cater specifically to families. Whether you prefer hotels, resorts, vacation rentals, or campgrounds, there’s something available to suit every family’s preferences and budget.
These family-friendly accommodations offer a variety of amenities designed to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. From swimming pools and playgrounds to on-site restaurants, you’ll have everything you need for a memorable vacation with your children.
Here are some highly recommended family-friendly accommodations in the Outer Banks:
- Sanderling Resort in Duck
- Sea Ranch Resort in Kill Devil Hills
- Oceanfront Cottages in Nags Head
These accommodations provide comfortable and child-friendly spaces for you and your family to relax and unwind after a day of exploring the Outer Banks.
When it comes to dining options, the Outer Banks offers a variety of kid-friendly restaurants with menus that are sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. These restaurants create a welcoming and enjoyable dining experience for families.
Here are a few popular kid-friendly restaurants in the Outer Banks:
- Mama Kwan’s Tiki Bar & Grill
- Outer Banks Brewing Station
These restaurants serve up delicious meals that both adults and children can enjoy, ensuring that your dining experience is stress-free and enjoyable for the whole family.
So, whether you’re looking for a spacious resort or a cozy beachfront cottage, the Outer Banks has a variety of family-friendly accommodations to choose from. And when it comes to dining, the kid-friendly restaurants in the area will keep both parents and children happy and satisfied.
Next, we’ll explore some of the top kid-friendly attractions in the Outer Banks that you won’t want to miss.
The Outer Banks is a dream destination for families seeking a memorable vacation filled with outdoor adventures and quality time together. With its stunning beaches, diverse range of family-friendly activities, and comfortable accommodations, the Outer Banks offers something for everyone.
From the moment you arrive, you’ll be greeted by the beautiful coastline, inviting you to spend your days basking in the sun, build sandcastles with your children, and take part in exciting water sports like kayaking and paddleboarding.
But the Outer Banks is not just about the beach. It also boasts a rich history, with must-visit attractions such as the Roanoke Island Festival Park, Wright Brothers National Memorial, and the iconic Jockey’s Ridge State Park. These sites provide educational and interactive experiences for kids, allowing them to delve into the region’s past while having fun.
After a day of exploration, satisfy your appetite with a delicious seafood dinner at one of the many family-friendly restaurants in the area. From Mama Kwan’s Tiki Bar & Grill to Outer Banks Brewing Station, there are plenty of dining options that cater to both children and adults.
So, whether you’re looking to bond with your family on the beach, embark on thrilling adventures, or dive into history, the Outer Banks is the perfect destination for an unforgettable family vacation. Come and create cherished memories in this idyllic coastal paradise.
Is Outer Banks a kid-friendly destination?
Yes, the Outer Banks is a kid-friendly destination with plenty of activities and attractions suitable for children of all ages.
What are some family-friendly activities in Outer Banks?
Some family-friendly activities in the Outer Banks include enjoying the beach, trying out water sports like kayaking and paddleboarding, visiting historical sites like Roanoke Island Festival Park and the Wright Brothers National Memorial, exploring nature at Jockey’s Ridge State Park, and taking art classes or climbing the Bodie Island Lighthouse.
What are the top kid-friendly attractions in Outer Banks?
Some of the top kid-friendly attractions in the Outer Banks include the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island, the Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, Jockey’s Ridge State Park, and the child-friendly beaches such as Corolla Beach, Kitty Hawk Beach, and Nags Head Beach.
What are some family-friendly accommodations and restaurants in Outer Banks?
Some recommended family-friendly accommodations in the Outer Banks include Sanderling Resort in Duck, Sea Ranch Resort in Kill Devil Hills, and Oceanfront Cottages in Nags Head. As for restaurants, places like Mama Kwan’s Tiki Bar & Grill and Outer Banks Brewing Station offer kid-friendly menus.
Why should I choose Outer Banks for a family vacation?
The Outer Banks offers a variety of family-friendly activities, attractions, and accommodations. From beautiful beaches and outdoor adventures to historical sites and delicious seafood, there is something for everyone in the family to enjoy, making it a perfect destination for a memorable family vacation.